Divorce or Marital Dissolution

In order to dissolve a marriage the parties must obtain a divorce decree and a judgement. A complaint must be prepared and filed with the appropriate Probate and Family Court.    If you have lived in Massachusetts 1 year before filing the divorce a court can legally enter a judgement of divorce on your behalf.  A judge will award a divorce based upon either fault grounds or a no fault action. The case significant issues are alimony, asset division, child support, custody, and children visitation.

Will it take me long time to get a divorce?

The best answer is it depends.   You may not get a hearing for at least 6 months after filing the complaint in a contested no fault divorce.  Once you get a divorce decree nisi judgement,  then you will still be legally married for a period of 90 days.  This is known as the “waiting period”.    You will not be free to remarry until the end of that 90 days.

Call today to schedule an initial no charge consultation and let Attorney Karp know how he can help you. 

Telephone 781-762-7875